Thursday, May 14, 2009

See Mommy Run


My earliest memory of running is from Pine View Middle School. I joined the track team because my mom ran track and I thought it would be cool. I had no idea what I could actually do, so I tried sprinting. I completely sucked and threw up after the 800 during my first meet. At the next practice, I faked a pulled hamstring just so I didn't have to run fast (which I didn't do any way). The coach, Mr. Koop (aka the math teacher) told me to jog it out with the cross country team on their three mile loop in Lake Padgett. I thought I was going to die. But, I finished with my fake pulled hammy.

I loved running.

I felt accomplished. I felt cool. Like I was good at something.

Running in the rain could always cure my teenage angst. It was always a time when I could think straight through all the hormones. I loved hearing my feet on the dirt road.

Fast forward a few years. Running gave me something to do when John was gone for over 280 days while we were stationed in Japan. It gave me peace of mind when I thought I was going crazy with the "baby blues" and it made me feel like me again after having Turner.

It's been since February 2008 (ok, probably a few weeks longer) since I've been on a good run. Most people probably remember how long it's been since they've had a cigarette, eaten a forbidden food, or had sex. I, however, remember how long it's been since I've been on a good run.

I'm done making excuses. I'm running a 5k on Saturday. It's the start of my "run every race up to a marathon by February 2010" goal. Just to check my stamina, I set out yesterday and ran a 5k. Nice. I've still got it. I mean, not the time or anything -but my heart is still in shape. Let's not get on the subject of my flabby ass...

There. I've said it. I'm running a 5k on Saturday. Then it's a 10k, Tour de pain, half marathon and marathon. I've given myself a year because no one really runs these things during the summer down here. I'm hoping this will give me the motivation to remember why I love running. Just because I think it's cool.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are awesome. I so wish I could get off my butt and run. Maybe you will inspire me =)

Katie said...

OH Mr. Koop... loved that guy. By the way, the fact that you can up and run a 5k after not having a "good run" in so long is FANTASTIC!! You are a beautiful, healthy wonderful woman/mother/wife!