Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Mario & Luigi Hats

While the kids are little, I like to think I can choose what they'll be for Halloween.
I mean, come on, a monkey and a banana...
How cute!
For this year, I really wanted a "brother" costume idea. I settled on Mario & Luigi.
After searching, I finally figured out how to make the hats! I found this blog and made the hats in 10 minutes, total.

At JoAnn Fabric I bought 1/2 yard (1/4 for each color) fleece fabric, sheets of brown, black and white felt and two pairs of white gloves for $7.40.

Double the fabric, and trace a circle at least 12 inches in diameter. I had a mixing bowl that was the perfect size.

Cut out the two circles and keep the scraps as it will be used to make the bill of the cap. Next, trace a smaller circle on one of the circles. I used a small snack bowl. The fleece has a bit of stretch to it so I chose this based on a toddler head size.
I cut out circles on the white felt to make the emblems that go on the front and then cut out letters from the black felt. Then, take two scraps from the larger circles and make a bill by taking the obvious parts (that fits like a puzzle piece against the rounds you cut out) and cutting it as large or small as you'd like.

Now, for the next step I wish I could say I got all Martha but I didn't. I was going to sew the hats and have fun "make believe" toys for the boys' stash of stuff...but...

I hot glued all the parts together! Lame, but it worked! Glue the edges of the largest rounds. Flip "right side" out. Then, glue the bill, flip it "right side" out and glue to the edge of the small hole in the hat. You'll get the idea when you see the hats and read the blog I linked to!

Eli had a pair of overalls and I stumbled upon a pair of overalls for Turner at a local resale shop for $5.99. Top it off with two Granimals brand Wally World shirts for $3.50 each! Oh, and the brown felt is to make little shoe covers and attaching at the back with a hairband. We'll see if that works!

So, for about $20 I've got Mario & Luigi!

No comments: