Saturday, February 27, 2010

Bread and Butta

Today was about keeping it simple. I can't seem to find the "rhythm" of the day if there is no planning the night before. Considering the broken sleep I've been getting, not much planning happens. Ever.

Somehow, I managed to find the simplest recipe for whole wheat banana bread, some on-the-verge-of-being-tossed bananas and the opportunity to let Turner do something alone. Since he woke up at 4am and didn't get back to sleep until around 6am (waking up, finally, at 7:40) he had taken a nap around 10:30. That left us with some time to fill before Ollie was up from his nap.

The bread was easy to toss together and I know it will quickly become the recipe of choice. It's almost fool-proof and SO easy for toddlers to throw together almost all on their own.
Eli woke up just in time to shake up some butter! I've seen the how-to before and thought it would be something fun for the kids to do. It took about 40 minutes but I think it was because I had to referee the entire time. Toddler hands + cranky Turner + glass jar... I'm going to see if my neighbor has a few baby food jars. I think those are fairly indestructible and just the right size for little hands to shake.

Any way, they had a great time. While I was talking to Turner's teacher today she reminded me that it's the experience, not the product that matters.
Here's to the mess. I have to fight the compulsions to help to avoid spills and then the compulsion to clean/fix/straighten whatever happened in the kitchen right away.

No comments: