Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Butter!

Of course, it's the first gorgeous day (sunny + warm(er)) we've had for months and I'm not feeling well. For our slow start this morning, we made some butter.

I know you can make your own butter by just shaking up some cream, but I was wondering if there was a way to make it a bit easier for the kids. So, I asked my neighbor for a few baby food jars and here's what we did:

Pour heavy whipping cream in baby food jars. You can fill the jars about 3/4 of the way. I think I let the jars sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. So, I'm not certain the cream actually has to be room temperature.
Start shakin'!

Within about a minute you'll have a thick cream and you'll see it start to form in to a more solid ball.
Maybe about a minute after the thick cream, you'll hear liquid again. If you peak inside the jar, you'll see a little ball of fresh butter. No amazing amount of salt and no stabilizers for shelf life!

Just butter.
I lined a small bowl with one paper towel and fished out the butter with a small fork. Pat the butter a little to soak up the excess butter milk (but not too much so it's dry). Then, flip the butter in to a small bowl and add anything you like for flavoring. We added maybe 1/4 teaspoon of maple syrup, and then spread it on to some bread. I was thinking it's going to be the perfect accompaniment to our weekly banana loaf.

The boys drank the buttermilk straight from the jar. They thought it was a bit odd, but didn't mind!

No comments: