Monday, April 26, 2010

Operation Sleep: Debrief

So, the week of Operation Sleep was just terrible. It was draining and made me doubt my every skill as a parent. It needed to happen, though, because I was emotionally and physically drained from Eli's late bed time, fighting him to sleep and then fighting him in my bed.

After the crazy 4 days of vomiting, Eli and I talked "extensively" about not throwing up. Finally, I bribed him with a mint (at my parents' house, my Dad has these mints the kids love). I told him if he didn't throw up he'd get a mint in the morning. I know sticker charts are a little above him right now and I wasn't even positive he'd understand the "if, then" conversation. Sure as hell, wouldn't you know it: he didn't throw up! He woke up the next morning and said "I no fro up. I need a mint!"

The next few nights he continued to whine when I put him down but not cry. When I got him the first morning it went smooth I said "I'm so proud of you!" Now, when I get him in the morning, he says "I so pwoud you!" and gives me a kiss.

Two nights ago was the first night it was totally silent, so it was a fluke in my mind. The next night it was a repeated fluke and tonight I'm finally happy to say I think he's back to loving his bed. He asked for Beaker and his motorcycle and it was quiet again. He's waking up very early in the morning (anywhere from 4-5:30) but I'm ok with that now that he's going down easier. I able to deal with that by adjusting my sleep. Plus, he LOVES the cuddle time. I prop up pillows quickly and let him lay on my chest and he pats my arm and doesn't move. Eventually he rolls off and back his little butt right up to me while I scratch his back.

For the past few mornings, he's fallen back to sleep until 7-7:30 and Turner will find us in the bed. He gets in to cuddle and I end up sandwiched between those sweet boys before the craziness begins. I have never been a fan of a TV in the bedroom, but it would be SO nice to have one these days! I feel really bad because Turner thinks Eli is sleeping with me so I've been trying to explain that Eli is waking up early so I go and get him from his own bed.

Tonight Turner called me in his room after he had been in there for about 20 or 30 minutes. He wanted me to pet his head and I was able to do that without being annoyed or rushed because I had to put Eli down on the couch.

All in all, though, we're back to a more 'normal' sleeping arrangement. They can come visit when they want and need but must fall asleep in their beds first.

Oh, and I have to say thank you to my John stand-in. Jennifer, I would have NOT been anywhere near as strong if you hadn't been there for me! You and the Waldorf-y mammas at Turner's school really helped me through the week.


Whitney said...

I'm so happy for you and proud of your boys. I pray that it continues.

Jennifer said...

I am so glad that things are going better. I hadn't check the blog in a week or so, but I am so happy to read this. it's a draining experience but it's awesome that it worked.